Happy National Dairy Month from the Northeast harvest Family! In honor of national dairy month here are some great fun facts about Dairy Farms.
- Dairy farming has been part of Massachusetts agriculture since early settlers brought cows to Plymouth in 1624.
- Dairy farmers produce 246 millions pounds of fresh milk per day.
- Only 2% of Massachusetts farms are dairy farms.
- Dairy cows eat a lot! The average cow eats about 100 pounds of food a day!
- A dairy farmer measures milk by pounds, not gallons.
- A cow has 4 stomachs and 24 teeth!
- In Massachusetts, the average dairy farm has 119 cows.
- Our own Shaw’s Dairy Farm still delivers fresh milk right to your home.
- Dairy farmers start their day milking cows and end their day milking cows.
- All 50 states in the United States have dairy farms.
- And don’t forget June is National Dairy Month, so drink lots of milk and eat lots of local made dairy products!
Happy National Dairy Month!
Categorized in: Dairy